August 05, 2010

"A successfuly ER trip" an oxymoron????

So, last night starting at about 10pm I experienced severe pain in my right side. I took some tylenol to try and get some good sleep. Well, that did not happen! I did not get much sleep at all. I attempted to go to work this morning and I just broke down in front of my boss. I felt AWEFUL about it! But my boss is absolutely wonderful and so understanding. She told me to go get checked out and get better. So I drove myself home (harder to do than i thought). My friend Lisa brought me to the ER because i just couldn't stop crying because of the pain in my right side, the guilt i felt over my job, missing my hubby (because of course this happens right after he leaves!) and just over-all exhaustion. We got to the ER at like 7:45. I was taken back right away because of my pain, plus it wasn't that busy. I had a urine test, an ultrasound of my side, and then a CT scan. At the end of all the tests I found out I have a Kidney Stone causing my pain. So at this point its 11am and I've been doing tests and waiting for 3 hours. I hadn't been hungry so I barely ate this morning. So after all that I was tired and super hungry. Lisa and I were thinking I might have appendicitis which would've required surgery obviously and I wouldn't have been able to eat! So thankfully I didn't have that because I was starving! So The ER gave me 2 prescriptions; percocet for pain and a dialation medication to relax my bladder so that the stone will pass easier (ewwwwww). Thankfully I had a very good friend with me to help me out all day. She drove me to the ER and back home again. We had lunch and we both took naps because we were so tired. So all in all, I was seen quickly in the ER, I wasn't alone, I got medication to help me feel better, and I had a nap. Today was a decent day, except for the severe pain part. But honestly, is it an oxymoron to say you had a successful trip to the ER??? Well, whatever you believe or feel, I am glad to have a friend to accompany me so I didn't feel so lonely in such a crazy experience. I've never had kindey stones before or felt pain like that. So I'm glad I got a diagnosis and a treatment plan. I think about how long it took to diagnose my PCOS and I was so afraid I was going to be the crazy girl with the mysterious pain in her right side. So I really am just glad to know what was causing it and how I can get better. I guess, thankful is the word of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment